from: Western Africa | cooking method: pan frying
A tasty combination of squash, yams, and coconut milk. Squash and yams are very common in Africa.
What you need
- one onion, chopped
- one pound squash, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes (hubbard squash is recommended, sweet pumpkin can also be used)
- a pound or two of yams (sweet potatoes may be substituted), peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- oil to sauté
- one cup coconut milk (see the note about coconut milk on the Wali wa Nazi recipe page)
- one-half teaspoon ground cinnamon
- one quarter teaspoon ground cloves
- salt to taste
What you do
- Fry onion in skillet, stir and cook until tender. Stir in all other ingredients, and heat to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and stir occasionally. Cook until vegetables are tender (ten to fifteen minutes).
Search this website: