from: Eastern Africa | cooking method: broiling-grilling
Nyama Choma (Roasted Meat)
This recipe for Nyama Choma (roasted meat) features an innovative use of curry powder in a marinade. Roasted meat is popular in Eastern Africa. If you doubt this, check out the menu of Kenya's most famous restaurant, The Carnivore. This recipe works well with any red meat; beef short ribs are the favorite of many Kenyans.
What you need
- two to three pounds of beef short ribs -- or any meat suitable for roasting
- two cloves garlic, minced
- juice of one or two lemons
- curry powder (In Kenya, Simba Mbili curry powder, a brand of curry powder, is a favorite)
- salt & black pepper
What you do
- Combine the lemon juice, garlic, and spices (to taste) in a large glass dish, mix well. Add meat. Stir to coat meat with marinade. Allow to marinate at least one hour.
- Grill meat over charcoal, or broil it in a hot oven. It should set off your smoke detector. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Serve with Irio, or Ugali.
- Leftovers can be used in Sukuma Wiki.
Search this website: