milestones in the development of The Congo Cookbook
This Website's History
- May 1999 -- The first recipes, including Beef in Cumin Sauce, Chicken in Peanut-Tomato Sauce, and Poulet Yassa, appear on a single Geocities page titled "Favorite African Recipes".
- July 1999 -- Each recipe is moved to its own page with a link from the homepage; The website is renamed "The Congo Cookbook".
- September 1999 -- The number of recipe pages passes thirty.
- October 1999 -- The first Quiz, the African Geography Quiz # 1, appears.
- November 1999 -- The Recipes by Country & Region index is created, but only with regions.
- December 1999 -- The Recipes by Ingredient index is created.
- January 2000 -- The first literary excerpts about African gastronomy are added to the recipe pages: Mary Henrietta Kingsley's descriptions of making baton de manioc on the Baton de Manioc recipe page (now on Fufu, et cetera); and Banana-Leaf Cookery on the Liboké de Poisson recipe page. The Excerpts index is added soon thereafter.
- May 2000 -- The first Rare Recipes pages are added in order to share African recipes from rare and out-of-print books.
- August 2000 -- African Proverbs are added to the Elephant Soup, Fufu, and Ugali pages.
- September 2000 -- The number of recipe pages passes sixty.
- October 2000 -- The Recipes by Country index is added.
- October 2000 -- The African Stews: Ingredient-Thickener Matrix goes on-line.
- November 2000 -- The number of recipe pages passes eighty.
- November 2000 -- The Recipes by Country index is deleted, and countries are added to form the Recipes by Country & Region index.
- April 2001 -- The number of recipe pages passes one hundred.
- May 2001 -- Added the Glossary.
- May 2001 -- Added the Sitemap and the category index pages, which eventually became:
- September 2001 -- Added the Greens in Africa and Fufu, et cetera index pages.
- October 2001 -- Obtained the web domain www.congocookbook.com
- November 2001 -- Added Peanuts in Africa.
- June 2002 -- Created new Snack Recipes index ; Changed the "Side Dish & Snack Recipes" index to Vegetable & Side Dish Recipes
- September 2002 -- Added Red Palm Oil.
- September 2003 -- Added Mailing list.
- September 2005 -- Discontinued Mailing list.
- June 2006 -- Moved the "Congo Cookbook Guestbook and African Food Discussion" forum into The Congo Cookbook domain. (Previously, related discussion forums had been maintained at delphiforums and then at ezboard).
- March 2007 -- Moved webpages, which had all been in the root directory at www.congocookbook.com, into separate subdirectories. E.g.,
- April 2010 -- Disabled and deleted the "Congo Cookbook Guestbook and African Food Discussion" forum due to the excessive amount of garbage posts. Began investigating other options.
Search this website: